Are you attending your visa interview soon and unsure what to wear?
Putting up a good appearance when attending any interview isn’t just appealing to the eyes; it is also fundamental and can influence how you are perceived and judged by your interviewer. So, if you are attending your US Visa Interview, making a good first impression should be your top priority. How you show up matters.
Because the US visa interview doesn’t last long (typically five minutes or even less), you certainly will not have the time to correct a bad first impression. It is, therefore, critical to ensure that whatever impression you want to give, is the first thing that is delivered to your interviewer when you’re invited for the interview.
If you fail to do so, then your visa application may be denied.
To read about the common reasons for rejection particularly under section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act., click on this link.
What should you wear when attending your US Visa Interview?
- You should wear something that represents who you are and what you do on a daily. If you work in a corporate environment, let’s say you are a lawyer, banker, accountant, in an administrative position, etc. then you should wear formal attire; a jacket is fine. You should dress like you would show up at work on a Monday or Tuesday morning.
- If you are looking for something more laid back then stick with smart casuals. Wear jeans with a well-ironed shirt and shoes.
- You do not have to wear a three-piece suit or jacket if that is not how you dress on a regular. Try not to portray a false impression, it will look like an act.
- Appear clean: have a haircut cut, smell fresh, and good.
- Comporting yourself is just as important as what you wear.
To watch a comprehensive video where I displayed the type of things you can wear (for different categories of persons) to impress the Visa Officer, then click on the link. Also, see below.