Welcome to my Travel Blog
My name is Oto Tom. I am a Nigerian Lawyer with a passion for adventure travel.
How I Started
I remember my first trip out of the continent of Africa in 2010, which was to the United Arab Emirates. Prior to this experience, I was obsessed about traveling the world and would explore images of stunning destinations and wish I could afford to travel to those places. I was a rookie then, barely 3 years post-call and still had academic pursuits ahead of me, therefore traveling around the world appeared impossible at the time. I simply thought I could not afford to travel.
Over the years, this ideology changed because I discovered that travel is never a matter of money but of courage. The difficulty/uncertainty surrounding visa application is a reason why travel is perceived by the average Nigerian as a luxury rather than a necessary component of a well-balanced life.
Visa application procedures in Nigeria are nerve-wracking and expensive. As a Nigerian Passport holder, I require visas to visit most countries of the world (including countries in Africa) and I have visited more embassies than I can count.
Having suffered rejection in the past, despite having genuine intentions, I patiently developed my travel records from visa friendly countries to countries with strict visa policies, and this came at a cost to me.
My Travel Goals
My ultimate goals are to explore all continents of the world, provide actionable travel information to my readers by sharing my personal travel experiences, connect with adventure seekers around the world, show you how you can travel the world on a budget, and to inspire the average Nigerian Passport Holder to travel more.
I believe one of the best ways to truly experience local culture when we travel is to try the food, which is why I also feature food articles from my adventures around the globe.
The name ‘Wakaholic’ is derived from the Nigerian pidgin word ‘waka’ (meaning travel/go/walk) and it represents an avid traveler. It was inspired by my desire to challenge myself to see more of the world, discover hidden tales, share what I find, and encourage people to travel more.
What You Will Find on this Blog
Travel With Me!
I organize group travel events (Wakaholic Adventure), where we select ‘Bucket List Destinations’ and explore these destinations together.
- In September 2016, we visited Inagbe Grand Resort & Leisure in Lagos. See our photos here.
- In June 2017, we explored the Seychelles Islands. See our photos here.
- In September 2017, we did a road trip from Lagos to Ouidah. See our photos here.
- In March 2018, we did a tour of the West African Coast. See our photos here.
- In June 2018, we explored Paris, Venice, Rome went onboard a Mediterranean Cruise with stops at Dubrovnik (Croatia), Kotor (Montenegro), Santorini and Katakolon (Greece). See photos here.
- In June/July 2018, we explored the Maldives Island, New York City, and Cancun Mexico.
- In May/June 2019, we joined a Caribbean Cruise from Miami, Florida to Cuba and the Bahamas. Then we spent the weekend in Las Vegas with some of the happiest people on earth.
To feature your travel photos, stories or travel related information on this blog, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope this blog inspires you to travel more.