Belgrade is the capital city of Serbia. It is renowned as one of the cities with the best nightlife in the world. Coffee shops, pubs, and restaurants are always full. They have the right energy.
The Guide took us on an interesting tour around the Republic Square, the National Theater and the National Museum, Bohemian Quarter (Skadarlija), the oldest part of Belgrade with Ottoman heritage, Kalemegdan park, Belgrade fortress, the confluence of the Sava & the Danube rivers, and Knez Mihailova street.
I became a student of history for one night, discovering the underground secrets of Belgrade, brainstorming, and discussing over some good wine at a 19th century Wine Cellar. And then I connected with some new friends and we visited a KAFANA, had local food, with some RAKIJA. You shouldn’t leave Belgrade without trying the hot wine. It was my favorite drink during my visit.
Here is a list of the best things to do in Belgarde:
1. Drink at least 4 different types of Rakija. Rakija (pronounced Rakia) is the most famous Serbian homemade drink, which is made out of fruits.
2. Visit a Kafana – which is a traditional bar of coffee shop.
3. Dance like no one is watching in Belgrade clubs
4. Eat local burek, Pljeskavica , and cevapcici.
5. Buy cokancic – a traditional glass
6. Visit Ada Ciganlija lake.
7. Walk along the rivers.
8. Have a drink in the park with locals.
9. Take the walking tour. I recommend the downtown tour and the underground city tour. The Communist tour is also available.
10. Try the street food. Serbian food culture is quite similar to what you’ll find within the Balkan region.
Have you visited Belgrade before? Share your experience here.