The Love Lock Bridge is a popular tourist attraction in Paris. Here, lovers write their names or initials on a padlock, attach the padlock to the bridge and throw the key into the Seine River as a sign of eternal love. Some say the only way to break the seal of love is to find the key and unlock the padlock. Creepy right? 🙂
- The tradition of attaching padlocks to the bridge began around 2008. Couples from all over the world use to flock the bridge to attach padlocks of all shapes/sizes as a symbol of their unbreakable love.
- There are two bridges in Paris known for this purpose. The Pont des Arts which is for ‘committed love’ opened in 1804 during the reign of Napoleon and the Pont de l’Archeveche which is for ‘lovers’, built in 1828.
- The Love Lock bridge area is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Due to the damage, the weight of the locks caused to the bridge, in 2015, the locks were removed after years of complaints from locals.
- Couples can no longer leave a padlock on the bridge in Paris.
Note: The world is changing very fast, travel while you still can.