It suffices to say that Uk visa approval is granted at the discretion of the UKVI, nevertheless, there are basic requirements that applicants must meet to improve their chances of obtaining a UK visa in Nigeria.
There are different types of UK visa granted for tourism, work, study, transit, medical purpose, and diplomatic or government business. The common type of UK Visa is the Visit/Tourist Visa granted for 6 months, 2, 5 and 10 years.
What you need to do, to obtain a UK visa in Nigeria:
- Compile the relevant documents listed below.
- Complete Visa Application Form online.
- Pay your visa fee and book an appointment.
- Register your details on Teleperformance website.
- Print completed online application form and appointment confirmation.
- Attend your appointment and submit your passport and supporting documents.
- Wait for a decision on your application.
- Valid international passport.
- Visa fee
- Photocopy of passport data page and previous visas.
- Recent passport photograph (which should be in the prescribed form and not older than 6 months).
- Completed online Visa application form.
- Bank Statement (for a period not less than 6 months).
- Evidence of hotel reservation.
- Evidence of return air ticket reservation (optional).
If you are employed,
- Introduction letter from your company.
- Leave approval.
- Employment letter/ Confirmation and Promotion letter.
- Official Id Card.
If you are self-employed,
- Company/business registration certificate.
- Statement of Account.
- Any other documents that will support your application.
- Copy of marriage certificate.
- Invitation letter from a spouse.
- Copy of children’s birth certificates.
- In assessing your application for a UK visa in Nigeria, the following will be taken into consideration:
- Your interview.
- Your financial and personal circumstances as declared on the application form.
- Your passport and travel history.
- Your family circumstance.
- Supporting documents you provided.
- You must provide originals of ALL supporting documents. Your documents will be scanned at the application centers and returned to you.
- You can apply for your visa, up to 3 months before your intended travel date.
- For a family visitor, you may include proof of family photos.
- For a business visit, include an official letter of invitation from your host company.
- For training/conferences, please include proof of payment for the training along with the program or brochure.
- For any other purpose, you should include documents that will substantiate the reason for your visit. For instance, if you are attending a graduation ceremony, the graduand should include an introduction letter (stating the relationship with the invitee), evidence of admission, settlement of fees and completion of an academic program.
- Your air ticket and hotel reservation should allow for a refund in case of visa denial. In most cases, you may not require a ticket reservation but your hotel reservation is important.
- Where you have an invitation letter from a sponsor, then you need to attach your sponsor’s financial records and evidence of permission to stay in the country.
- For a tourist, your best bet is to apply on your own and allow your application to be assessed on its strength.
Further tips for UK visa application in Nigeria;
- Where your Bank Statement contains unusual deposits (such as a bonus from work, which is significantly higher than regular deposits on your account), you should provide an explanation as to the source of the funds. Use highlighter ink to identify inflow on your statement of account (such as salary deposits or any funds declared in your application form). You may attach a letter addressed to the High Commission explaining the source of any inflow not declared in your application form. You should be convincing.
- If you have a spouse, you stand a better chance of getting a visa if you apply together with your spouse. If you are single, then you must convince the UKVI that you have enough ties (ties here may refer to a job, family, business, assets…).
- You may attach documents that prove that you have assets in your country of residence or any other location. Since a physical interview (with the UKVI) may not be required, you should attach any document you consider necessary. It is better to provide too much than to provide too little. We discussed this extensively in our guide for a successful visa application. You should read the article before making your visa application.
- Because your travel history is very important, always make photocopies of previous visas, including the entry and exit stamps on your passport. Sometimes, most interviewers may be reluctant to go through the pages of your passport to see countries you have visited so you should not leave it to chance.
UK Visa Application Centers in Nigeria
UK Visa Application Centre, Abuja.
TLS Contact Processing Services Ltd.
3rd floor El Yakub Plaza, Plot 1129
Zakariya Maimalari street, opp war college
Central Business Area, Abuja
UK Visa Application Centre in Victoria Island, Lagos
1st Floor, Churchgate Tower 2
Plot PC31 Churchgate Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
UK Visa Application Centre in Ikeja, Lagos
TLS Contact Processing Services Ltd.
Etiebets Place, 21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way
Did this article on obtaining a UK visa in Nigeria help you? Leave your comments and questions below and don’t forget like us on facebook, follow us on twitter and subscribe to our mailing list for more helpful tips like this.